Monday, March 31, 2008

Buildings, Week 12

As a true city girl, I am constantly surrounded by the landscape of urban life. We spend our lives in and around them, walking past them, climbing their stairs, or looking out their windows. Buildings and concrete and glass windows abound, yet luckily in the northwest, we're pretty darn good at balancing that with lots and lots of evergreens (go us!). Certain views of certain strees and buildings can trigger memories for me faster than pictures or retelling of stories. The smells and sights combined with certain buildings in downtown seattle or on the University of Portland campus are very special to me, and remind me of junior high trips to westlake center or making out behind the theatre building. Le sigh. The psychology behind what buildings do for our spacial lives is clear and real in my life, and I find the images they create powerful memory keepers. And the most fascinating part of the buildings in my surroundings, is that they were once someones idea, someones inkling or sketch. One person, or a small groupf people, put together this idea of a space, with nooks and crannies and glass and steel, and they birthed it into reality. Out of nowhere. And that to me, is part of why they're just so gorgeous.

-Claire

No comments: