Monday, March 17, 2008

Narrow, Week 10

Week 10! I can't believe it. Despite the expansion of our project, and our increasing number of "outside our little circle" viewers (yay fellow bloggers and commenters), the theme this week is narrow. I don't have much insight into the complexities of this theme, I think it does a really good job of standing on its own. I can say that my original inspiration for this is not deep or philsohophical, but merely the narrow passage way between my office land of cubicles and the office door and rest of the school of nursing floor. Our good sized office (home to two student worker front desk stations, four substantial cubes, plus a mailing system for over 50 people) is accessable only through a regular sized door and even smaller "aisle" between the copy machine and the front desk bar. It is by far the most amusing thing I do all day, the sa-shaying of my huge ass between the copy machine and whoever is standing at the front desk. Often times it involves an unbeknownst to anyone else, side step and a shuffle, plus a breif but absolutely needed moment of tummy suckage. The worst is when someone does not realize you are skillfully manuevering around them in order to save an interuptive "excuse me" and they back up just a fraction of a step and send your spine into the corner of the machine. Ouch. But luckily I imagine this theme will go far beyond that interpretation specific to my job, and will open the eyes of many to think about the narrow places in their lives. Whether good or bad, natural or not, the idea of narrow thought (on a macro or personal level) can be limiting and at the same time, neccessary. Narrowness (is there actually a plural to that?) can be self-preserving and self destructive. My reality of narrowness, is luckily only slightly annoying and generally very entertaining.

-Claire

No comments: